
The Dominican Cathedral, the former Corpus Christi church, was built in 1749-1764 at the expense of Hetman Jozef Potocki to a design by the engineer and architect Jan de Witte, and is one of Ukraine's finest late Baroque buildings. It has an elliptical dome, massive paired columns supporting galleries and loges with wooden statues by Lviv sculptors, and the Latin motto Soli Deo honor et gloria beneath the dome. In Soviet times it housed the Museum of Religion and Atheism; since the 1990s it has belonged to the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church as the Church of the Holy Eucharist, with regular liturgies. The Lviv Museum of the History of Religion (a separate, ticketed institution) still occupies part of the monastery buildings, and the Dzyga art association uses another wing.
Yes. It is an active Greek Catholic church (the Church of the Holy Eucharist) and entry is free. A ticket is only needed for the Museum of the History of Religion in the adjoining monastery buildings.
Full ticket 100 UAH, student 60 UAH, concession 50 UAH; a guided tour costs 300 UAH. The museum works 10:00-18:00 at 1 Muzeina Square.
In 1749-1764, to a design by Jan de Witte, funded by Grand Crown Hetman Jozef Potocki, replacing an earlier Gothic Corpus Christi church.
No reviews yet
Phone
+380322358677Price range
Free entry to the church. The Museum of the History of Religion in the monastery buildings is ticketed separately: full 100 UAH, student 60 UAH, concession 50 UAH.
Create a request and find people with the same plans